In Your Face

Another from my visit to the local pond a bit over a week ago. I had reasonable luck with Wood Ducks on that outing.

Specific Feedback Requested

I deliberately cropped this one way down and put the face high in the frame to create the look I wanted. Does it work?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/2500, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3107 x 2448. Taken March 10th.

2 Likes

You captured the beauty of a Wood Duck quite well. Lovely colors and excellent detail. You say you used a monopod, so I’d assume you were shooting down on the duck, but the large view looks as if it’s coming head on-the look you were after, I would guess, so your treatment works quite well and the large image is quite a treat. Nice going.

@Allen_Brooks I was shooting down. I was on my knees on the viewing platform with the camera just above the rail (3-4 feet above the water). It was far enough away so the angle wasn’t too bad, but it definitely showed in the original image.

HI Dennis
Very nice head on photograph. The shot dose give you that in you face look, with the Wood Duck’s right eye staring you down. The detail, reflection and color is great.
Peter

Dennis, every time I see this image I have to take a double look: “That’s my shot!” Seriously, I have a very similar image, but yours is much better, with better light and comp. I like the crop just fine, as it works nicely with the reflection. Well done!

This is great, Dennis - an amazing species that always makes we wonder ‘is it real’. We have them over here as well, but only as escaped birds - would the a thrill to frame them as wild ducks. Love the mirroring here. Great work! Hans

Wonderful, with that circle formed by the body and reflection a wonderful feature! The blue sky reflected in the ripple, against the brown light on the water is very nice!