Yet another Wood Duck

I’m afraid my flight shooting skills don’t come close to Dan and David’s, but I did come away with a lot of Wood Duck shots that pleased me, and a number of decent images of other species. Since I’ve never had a really good session with the Woodies, I was in seventh heaven.

Truth in advertising: The two ponds we shot at are both in urban parks and people feed the ducks, so they are thoroughly accustomed to people and will come to you if you even look like you have food.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you notice.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How’s the composition?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 335 mm, hand held lying down, f/8, 1/1600, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 9.5 MP. Cleaned up some pond debris and used some TK luminosity masks to adjust exposures in the duck.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dennis,
I like the full profile view and the slight head turn toward us. Nice exposure and details. I like the water too. Well done. (Lyle and I want to visit y’all’s duck pond! :slight_smile: )

A fine shot of a really handsome subject matter. I hope to get a clean shot of a male Wood Duck myself someday.

Gorgeous in every way. IQ, light, and colors are all great. I’d consider cloning out the horizontal blue lines in the water near the duck’s head. And, yes, we expect an invitation to the next duck pond outing!

Excellent light and water. Superb detail on the Wood Duck. Excellent back crunching point of view.