Wood Ducks

Something a bit different. This is full frame and so cropped in camera. This was taken last fall so lots of leaves on the ground.
5DIV, 500mm, 1/400, f/4, ISO 400, tripod

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I am curious about this aspect.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Not able to enlarge the photo, but the head looks nice and sharp and the beautiful colors come through well. The background colors are pleasant and complements the duck. I’d consider cloning out the hen. I could also see this as a portrait.

Very nice shot of the Wood Duck, David. For some reason the larger image isn’t opening up. I think with this one, I’d crop it down so the missing tail and legs don’t look so accidental. It could be turned into a very fine portrait, especially with that perfect head turn.

Thanks Allen and Dennis. I am not sure why larger image is not opening. I’ll check that out. That is an interesting suggestion about the cropping. I’ll just have a look at that myself. I do have some other photos of just the male or just the female, or male/female, or female/male. I thought I would try this to see what the comments were like. It is unusual for sure.

This should work to get full size. Dave

Enlarged version looks great. I think a portrait would show this off well.

Hello, Leroy, the techs are great I many could probably only wish to be able to get this close. That said, I am a little doubtful, as it seems something in between (a full length shot and a portrait). So, if it were mine, I’d probably do some dramatic cropping and make it a real close-up portrat. The techs are very good, so it would be an option for sure :wink: … Cheers, Hans

I agree with others that this would make a wonderful portrait. Nice had positioning with a very slight turn. Excellent detail. The current crop is a little awkward along with the out of focus hen in the background.

Go for the portrait view with a tighter crop. BG should look good with the crop…Jim

OK Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback. As is does not work.
And Hans these Wood Ducks are year round residents at the local bird sanctuary and are used to people prowling around.

It worked, David. Excellent detail in the plumage.