Wood duck affection

Taken at the local pond this morning. Dennis Plank and myself went out there today and were treated to excellent light and lots of ducks. This is a fantastic habitat and the light is always at your back.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Iso-400, 400 mm +1.4 X, F5, 2500th, handheld/beanbag, around 20% of full frame

2 Likes

Beautifully sharp on the ducks. I like the interaction between them. With the size of those OOF leaves in the foreground as big as the ducks, I feel they are competing for attention. Maybe a crop that puts them more at the bottom without the reflection would lessen their impact.

A wonderful pose of the two birds. I feel that quite a large crop would improve this (to my taste). Then we could just focus on the couple; but I see that the larger environment is attractive too.

I thought you’d be posting one from this little interlude, David. Thanks for showing me that I needed to stay later than I normally would consider good shooting conditions.

I do think this scene could use cropping. I caught the samemoment, so I’ll have to see what 6 feet to the side and a bit of extra depth of field made. Thus far, I’ve just made it through the first rough cull.

Very nicely done David. I really like the nice saturated colors and brightness to the scene. I like the crop as is. Lots of environment, birds are nicely framed and perhaps cropping closer will make leaves more significant. A private moment.