Male Wood Duck

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Up until yesterday, I had an empty “wood duck” photo folder. The ones I’ve seen have always been very skittish and too far distant. I have some pals that told me they have a couple of pairs in their pond and invited me to come try my luck. This was my favorite of the shots I got even though he was not real close. I was happy to get him, and his reflection. I now have some wood duck captures in my folder. They said that they’d give me a heads up when the babies jump out of the boxes and start swimming around. I’m up for that photo possibility.

Specific Feedback

With the heavy cropping and de-noising darkroom efforts it’s ended up a “plastic” looking but I’m still glad to have it. Does it still work?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1600th, f 9.0, 840mm, ISO 4500, cropped to 3499 x 2529

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Dave, what a great opportunity for you. I love that reflection and especially how the velvet-green BG matches the green of the duck. As it was bright, I think the bill came out pale and I’d be tempted to restore more color there. But you are right to feel pleased with this. You surely can’t wait for the babies!

Hi Dave, love the reflection and the water drops and surrounding water. what a great pose. I see what you mean about a plastic look. I’m wondering if backing off the noise reduction would help.

This is a wonderful capture with a gorgeous reflection, but I think the saturation is a bit low and the processing could be improved. You have a great camera body – you should be able to do a big crop at high ISO. Low light is frustrating but Topaz Denoise does a lot of rescue work for me.

I massaged it some on you guy’s advice. Better?

Hi
Dave. The colors in the repost are much better, though the plastic look is still there. The water is gorgeous. If you can, you might go back and try for a closer shot. It’s worth the time!

For a “life bird” photo this is great and I’m sure you’ll have other opportunities. The colors look good and its mainly the chest area that has that plastic look.

Thanks for this input. I will be going back to try my luck some more. Hopefully, even closer next time… and and a lower viewing angle too.