Mallard Drake

It was supposed to get sunny yesterday, so despite the previous day’s events, I really wanted to get out. The outing did not start propitiously as I managed to lose my lens hood on the short walk from the car to this small pond (the person who takes care of the place found it and put it on my rear view mirror and I thank him profusely). This image was taken without the hood, but the sun didn’t come out until late afternoon and I was shooting away from it, so it didn’t matter. This guy and his mate were the only ducks around, but I did get a couple of images for the Weekly Challenge.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a6500, fe200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with ballhead and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/800, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR and PS CC. Straightened and cropped to 4741x3126. A bit of added blur to the reeds and typical dodging/burning to get the balance the way I wanted it.

Wonderful detail, nice setting and an interesting pose! Nice handling of the reeds.

A sweet image Dennis of the mallard in its environment. I like the nice lighting on the duck and lots of fine detail.

Wonderful Dennis. What I noticed first was the flow from the duck’s head around it’s body, down to the details in the feathers and finally the ripples in the water. When viewed close up it has such a great rhythm to the image. Glad you found your lens hood and to know I’m not the only one who does. Very nicely seen and captured.

Excellent color, detail, comp.