Red-veined Meadowhawk

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From several days ago at a nearby pond. There was a special on these guys, but not much else. It was too breezy and they were too busy to manage any stacking.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 10.38.13 AM

Global Highlight tweak in LR and then the new Denoise feature there. Interestingly, it did not smooth out the compound eye structure, as Topaz Denoise Low Light can. Topaz Standard and Clear preserve that detail better, but in most images I find Low Light more to my liking. About a 50% crop.

4 Likes

Lots to enjoy in this one, Diane. The detail and colors are outstanding. But I love the angular shapes of the stem, wings and body line up. Great shot!

Diane, I agree with @linda_mellor that there is a lot to enjoy in this one. Even though you weren’t able to stack, you captured great details from stem to stern on him. Excellent look at him, and you managed the lighting well too. He’s a real beauty. I don’t think we have the Red-veined Meadowhawk in NC. I don’t remember seeing one anyway.

1 Like

Hi Diane, really nice capture of this striking dragon. The wings forward pose is interesting and I love seeing the beautiful abdomen so well (and sharp!). A pleasing BG too. Well done.

Sweet catch! I like the vivid red color with the more subdued surroundings. I have a similarly red dragonfly shot of another species that I got with a lot of trouble in the kayak. Your pose is better and the wings aren’t as ragged as in the one I saw. Gorgeous little thing. No improvements needed.