Widow Skimmer Dragonfly

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? An All of my technical information was dropped from my file.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like the colors and I think the very shallow DOF work here. The image has a bit of an abstract look. Very nice!

John Wayne, there is a nice touch of mystery here, with the very strong saturation and spotlight in the background. You could crop this to square to emphasize the circular bright area in the background.

John Wayne, you captured a fine shot of this Widow Skimmer Dragonfly. The background makes him stand out nicely. Great details where they need to be. The colors are really rich and deep, in fact, for my taste, it seems a bit too rich, but that could be just me, as it seems almost not natural. Still, a very nice shot, in my opinion.

Thats a cracker for me. Beautiful colour combination through the frame. Well composed…gorgeous

Balan Vinod

John Wayne: I love the spotlight and your shallow DOF and the fact that your plane of focus was spot on with regard to the head, thorax and tail. I like the color intensity. Marvelous shot. >=))>

Thanks to all. I appreciate all of the comments and try to remember your helpful remarks. I work on cleaning up all spots on the photo and used virgnetting in Photoshop, RAW which has several other options to feather the roundness. Less feathering lends more of a spotlight effect. Thanks again.

Hi John Wayne,

I think you nailed this one. The head is nice and sharp and the tip of the abdomen is starting to soften. For artistic purposes, this image fits the bill nicely. The soft lighting is awesome…Jim

Thanks Jim , your comments and thoughts are helpful and appreciated. I tried to do handheld shots and had to resort to the tripod.

A very nice shot. I like all the contrast both within the dragon fly and between the dragonfly and bg. DF is nice and sharp. I like the nice highlights both eyes. And everything looks really clean. Vignetting also makes for a nice photo. Really well done and good for you.

I like the shot. Everyone has already gave you the deserved superlative responses. I’d like to play devil’s advocate here ask the question. Are the wings near the legs in back of or covering the wings? It almost looks like you focused through the wings or changed the wings opacity to be able to see the legs. This isn’t a composite is it?

Thanks David and George. This shot isn’t a composite and nothing special was done to highlight the legs. Happenstance perhaps. I believe the legs are much darker than the body which allowed them to show through the wings. Glad you pointed this out.