Widow Skimmer Part Deux

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 550mm (200-400mm f4 + 1.4x TC) Fill flash set at -2 TTL-BL (1/640 sec at f16, ISO 2500). Topaz DeNoise and Stabilize AI, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Full Frame, Adjustment Layer (Hue & Saturation -Blue, -Cyan). Dust bunny removal. I rarely use stabilize, but I was able to recover the eye facets and the noise level was easily handled by DeNoise. I would have loved to shoot this one with no wind, but 20mph gusts was on the menu that day…Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Very nice shot, Jim. I like that the perch he is on runs diagonally across the image. Nice details in the DF, and a nice smooth BG to make him stand out. Great shot.

Really nice, Jim. Nothing to clutter up the main attraction and good comp. Details are great and it’s an interesting subject. Well done.

Fantastic photo Jim. I love the color and the details on this one and the background works very well with this. Amazing you pulled this off in those winds. I have not tried the Topaz stabilizer. might just do that.

Jim, this looks great. The details show very well in the large view. The nearly corner to corner perch gives a nice sweep to the viewing. You’ve also got good dof with most of the central wings sharp.

1 Like

Jim: What a superb capture. I like the perch, comp and BG especially. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like

I’m glad I found this – it’s a gorgeous mix of detail and simplicity. I love the positioning in the frame. Putting a subject that far to one side can sometimes look awkward, but here it feels perfect, with the lovely OOF greens balancing the weight of the dragonfly. And we all know how much room they need to fly into, in a millisecond.

1 Like

Great image given the wind. sharp from head to toe. nice background as well. Love the diagonal composition. Details on the dark patterns on the wings look very good.

1 Like