Reedy

Found these reeds at our local lake and have been experimenting with different way of expressing them. I’ve attached both; #1 the original raw (unaltered) and an #2 altered version.

#1 original

#2 - altered

What technical feedback would you like if any?

On the altered version (#2) I removed the lone stick on the right side, applied some level adjustments and the posterized. Do either of the two images strike you more than the other?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Artistically/feeling wise, do either images speak to you more than the other?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/9, 1/160 sec., iso 100, Nikon 16-80mm @50mm

While I do like taking an image such as this and simplifying it down to it’s essence (for me) any comments ,suggestions you would like to offer are encouraged and welcome. Thank you.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Linda: I was hoping you would come up with something with these reeds. I do like the altered version. It’s always hard to know where to crop an image like this but I do think I would crop or CA away the reeds entering the left side of the frame and I might also make the lone reed in the URC go away too, although it doesn’t grab me as much as the reeds on the left edge. I think making that one little reed go away was a good call. Well seen and very nicely presented. >=))>

Great suggestions @Bill_Fach. Sometimes I just stare at photos too long a miss a lot. I did remove the lone reed in the URC and cropped the reeds on the left that were only half way in anyway. Much better. Thanks again for the thoughts.

Oh, lovely work on the processed version. I like that we can see the rocks under the water in the opposite corner from the reeds. I’m with Bill on cloning out those reeds on the left that touch the edge of the frame. But, I love that little bitty one out there all by himself! To me, that little one makes the photo, it give it character and a story. It’s like he’s the runt of the litter, puny, but out there fearlessly leading the pack.

Very nice abstract kind of image, Linda. Without losing the lovely textures in the reflected waters I could just see a crop from the bottom to bring the reeds into greater prominence. I think your second version trumps the first - it has wonderful variations of tone.