Resisting the ice

In Wisconsin the winter days, more often than not , are heavily overcast. On this day I had something different, high level wispy clouds that resulted in the same flat light the overcast days give you. I was out searching and exploring different areas down a beautiful glen but really wasn’t expecting much due to the lighting. We had been having night temps down into the 20s with days in the upper 30s so the streams had not completely frozen over. As I came upon this scene I was surprised by a warm beam of light that somehow reached this part of the glen.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments welcomed. I used a long exposure to flatten out the water flow. Would people like more signs of movement in the water?

Technical Details

Canon 5DM4 Iso 100 45 mm f/22 3.2 sec

1 Like

Hey John, this is a very cool image. I love the lighting. I also am mesmerized by the ice patterns and the water meandering through. That curving bit of water on the right pulls my eye right into the rest of the scene. Awesome.

1 Like

What a very cool scene! The smooth water works for me; I think if it showed more movement that would compete too much with the interesting ice texture. I love the way you framed those three golden rocks in a triangle in the middle of the frame. My only suggestion would be to reduce the highlights on the two bright areas in the background bank at the top of the frame.

1 Like

Thanks Bonnie I like your suggestion.

1 Like