Rest stop

Returning from a whale watch we happened on a Common tern looking for a place to rest…on a floating coconut.

Gulf of Thailand

D500
500mm f/4
1/3200s @ f/7.1
ISO 500
0 Ev
Handheld from a boat.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all feedback appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Nice reflection of the wing position and a great perch. Great image as is, but a little more room on the top would give him more room to fly.

Beautiful light and color. Nice wing position with great detail. Nice perspective. Love the unique perch. :slight_smile:

Excellent comp. Superb work with the plumage color and detail. Fascinating reflection. I might wish to see this with reduction of blue lumenance.

Hi Charles, love the balancing act you captured here - quite unique with the bird on the coconut. Nice pose of the bird with fine detail. No nits from me.

I really like this. Crop is quite perfect to me, Charles, and I like the water below the bird, too, although I am wondering what’s that silvery thing is.

HI Charles, what a balancing act you captured here. Before I opened it up, I thought he was on a rock. I like everything about this shot.

Hi Chuck,

A very interesting shot and I like the pose of the tern. The double reflection is odd and wonder how that came to be. Not really a nit because the pose is awesome. …Jim

Hi jim,

As I recall the conditions on the water were rather calm and we had a very slight breeze. The temperatures were warm and it was somewhat hazy-and the surface of the water was still with an occasional undulation. My best guess is the reflection was disturbed by a small ripple.

Thanks,

Chuck

1 Like

That makes perfect sense to me Chuck. Thank you and well done capturing this tern.

What a cool find, Chuck. Excellent detail in the nut and the bird and the double reflection (or is it quadruple?) is awesome. The reflection of the reflection is what really gets me-I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before-at least that I’ve noticed.

An unique image with a great pose and uncommon perch. I am good with the composition. The reflection seems a little odd, but your explanation about the ripple makes sense. Nice low angle and very well composed. Congrats on the EP.