Right Time Right Man

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

My first trying to capture lightning. Taken form my hotel room - actually set it up for a Time Lapse - took 300 images - to get 10 seconds of footage - but now realize that I have lightning in only 10-15 images - so i will need some tricks - ideas anyone?

Creative direction

putting context to the lightning - reasonable foreground - safe within my hotel room - even slept through

Specific Feedback

WB ok

I know there will opinions on handling both the sky and and the foreground - my ears and ears are open

Technical Details

8 seconds, F8, iso 80

70 mm ( 24-70) on. Z9 body

Description

I have always wanted to capture lightning - settings and safety have been my concerns. Got aroind the safety part this time
Next was maximizing my chances to get decent bolts without a break - hence the 8 second choice

The billboard is of course, the Turkish re-elected Prez - Erdogan - Dogru Zaman Dogru Adam means - Right time right man - yours truly being in the right place at the right time to capture this!

1 Like

Hi Karl,

My experience with lightning images is pretty limited but I have done a few at the coast where I wanted to capture lightning over the ocean at night.
A few test shots to adjust for exposure is a good idea IMO, especially if there’s static light in the scene as you have here.
I’ve used the Interval Shooting feature just to automatically capture as many images as it takes, I like to set the shutter speed at 30 seconds which means that sometimes I’ll use a 2 or 3 stop ND filter (depending on how well lit the scene is), then in the interval menu, set the time between exposures to 1 second or whatever the minimum time is in the camera and go for it. :slight_smile:

Note: On my camera, I can set the number of exposures in the interval shooting menu but I usually set it for the maximum of 9,999, then when I feel I that have what I want I just hit the shutter button to terminate the interval shooting process.

My point is to try using the longest shutter speed possible to increase the chances of capturing the lightning and…use the minimum time between exposures to further increase your chances.

I suppose you could try using the “Bulb” mode and just wait for the event to pass to close the shutter, that one just crossed my mind and it might be worth exploring. :thinking:

As for this image, I love the mood and the painted look! The lightning appears to be going through the cone of the building rather than behind it and it adds drama IMO, those spear point street lamps are unique for me, I’ve never seen any with that shape and in this image, they add a nice visual element, especially the color because it closely matches the color of the lightning bolt.
The dark clouds add even more drama, especially with the horizontal lightning bolt :slight_smile:

Yes, you definitely were there at the right time for this event! :slight_smile:

Well done, Karl! :slight_smile:

Karl,

Safety is paramount when doing lightning, image. I have done experiments for almost 9 years now, until I was able to get some decent images.

I usually work on understanding the weather conditions, and the several layers of clouds.

Of course I do miss a dozen before i get one decent shot. Each year may be I target to get about a 2 or 3 decent frames.

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Thanks @Merv

I did the set up in camera as you desribe - the point is that I have only 10-15 images with lightning in them - too little to visualize in a TL - any way around this ?

Just one of many sites talking about these things -

Ahh, I get what you’re saying more clearly now. I misinterpreted what your goal was.
For some reason I thought that your goal was to capture still images of lightning rather than making a more dramatic time lapse video.
I thought that you were using TL as a means of capturing single images of lightning.
In that case, I agree that 10-15 lightning images in a 300 image TL wouldn’t be enough.

Just a thought but, what about making 2 or 3 copies of each lighting image so the lightening segments would last longer.
In other words (for example), use the first set of images without lightning, then the first lightning image as normal but followed by 2 or 3 copies of that same lighting image, then however many non-lightning images, then the 2nd lightning image followed by 2 or 3 copies of that lightning image, and so on…

I hope I said that clear enough to make sense.

I assume you’re using computer software to create the TL rather than creating the TL in the camera?

I haven’t tried the approach just described but it seems like it would work.

I hope this helps, sorry for the misinterpretation. :frowning: