River of Gold

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What are your initial thoughts of this scene? Does the composition and color balance work well? And how does it make you feel upon initially seeing it?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I’m currently making my way south through central Texas. This time of the year can be challenging since most of the trees are dead, except for the Junipers.

I stopped at a state park for a couple of days which featured a small waterfall. During the daytime it’s not great for photography, but once the sun set, it strikes the waterfall and rocks underneath, changing the water into a river of gold.

Here’s a cropped pano version of the same scene.

My initial reaction is along the lines of playful color splashing. I like your shutter speed, especially those arches the drops are making on the left edge.

I’m conflicted about how much the top of the image adds, and could see an alternative crop to a 3:2 that removes part of it.

1 Like

I too was debating about cropping the top but it just didn’t quite work by cropping in to a 3:2. The original file is a 3:2 btw, but felt like the scene worked better as a 4:3. I did try cropping it to 2:1 pano which removes the brush at the top of the frame.

1 Like