River

I am in the stages of finalizing this image, but something about it feels “off”. It is by no means even supposed to be a ‘portfolio piece’, but I think studying it, and especially the editing of it, might provide some help for me in the future – this is where I thought of enlisting your help. So without further ado, any critique of this image is welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Looking at the general exposure of the image I am considering whether I should further dodge burn the sky? Something about the exposure of the sky vaguely annoys me.

Regarding the blacks, mostly seen in the trees and edges of the frame, it almost seems to me that they have been ‘crunched’ (i.e. brought down and then lifted up so there is no black in the entire frame), is this the same for you?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything and all. I am considering going back and playing with the green hues.

Any pertinent technical details:

Sony a7r, Canon 16-35 f2.8 II, 16mm, f/11, 0.4 sec. ISO 80

Regarding the image, it was shot this past summer in Norway, on one of the only bright sunsets I had on my trip. The location is on the river leading to/from Bondhus Glacier.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

So I know others will have feedback, but honestly if I just saw this in the gallery section I wouldn’t think of it as an image that needs much…I really like it and I think both the design and the processing are really solid. It’s a cool and different shot.

The only thing that really jumps out is I would remove the trees at the very top on both sides…

Ha, and maybe crop it in more so there is less space on on the right:)

Thanks for the kind words! I have considered removing the top of the trees as well, and will definitely look more into it now that it is brought up by you as well.

In regards to a potential crop, I have been/am hesitant to crop the right side of the frame wanting to preserve the centred location of the pine trees – I think it might create an uneven composition.

Once again thanks for the feedback! I will be sure to re-upload a version here in the comments once I, hopefully, have gotten a little more feedback :slight_smile:

Like Dan, when I look at this image, I do not immediately think that it needs a bunch of changes. I had to really look at it and try to figure out what might bother me. After looking at it for awhile, I think the blurred FG contrasts with the background being in focus. It kinda feels like 2 different images. I think the darkness may have something to do with it, too, although I’m not sure exactly what.
I like it more when I zoom in, and can see those parts of the FG that are in focus. I am wondering if those trees on either side are having sort of a “blocking” impact on the view.
I sure like that stream and the FG!

1 Like

You might desaturate that main clump of green grass. It’s a bit overbearing. I like the water below it and even more, the boulders with running water behind.

1 Like

The photo presents well as is. While it is a little dark, I think it works in this case and the deep blacks are I think making that really nice mountain side light coming in more pronounced.

I find the bright green elements to be too green, would tone those done for sure. I read Norway and know the landscape there is super green but it draws my eye too much and doesn’t look right to me.

I am not against adding a little more contrast to the sky as long as you are light handed with it, looks natural, low saturation and soft now which I think complements the more contrasty processed rest of the frame. The image could easily take on a too contrasty/too processed look if the sky was quite different.

1 Like

I didn’t have time to read all the other CC comments so someone might have already said this, but just from first glance the blacks feel too heavy/muddy to me. I would pull up the shadows/blacks just a bit to get a more natural look as it would feel to the eye in real life. But that’s just me!

Thanks for the feedback. During editing I was aware of the green algae on the lower left, but did not know how to neglect it, to better avoid it stealing attention from the middle-/background. But now thanks to you, and Igor I will definitely look into desaturating it.

Thanks again!

Malte,

A beautifully composed image. Given the time of day I think the darkness is appropriate, but for my own tasted I think this is still a bit too dark. You mentioned you’re not satisfied with the sky up top. I think given the sun is still up that sky might be brighter and would the light on the mountains. Not much mind you, but in general I think the luminosity could be raised globally. I don’t find the shadows muddy or anything by the line of evergreens lacks detail.

The only other suggestions really would be some easy cloning of the errant tree branch in the ULC and whatever is above the water in the LRC.

This one is certainly worth any tweaks!

Lon

1 Like

Here is the re-edited version including some of your feedback: