Valenciennes River, Mountain, Fall (with repost)

Repost:

Original:

Another image from my trip to British Columbia this past October. This was a challenging image to edit but I really like the composition. It was a rather hazy day with a lot of forest fire smoke in the air and this a two exposure blend - one image for the sky and the other for the land.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Unfortunately, probably due to the smoke, the sky looked very blotchy and uneven so I did something I’ve never done before…
First I made a gradient with the darkest colour being the blue at the very top of the frame and the lightest being the light blue right above the mountains. I then made a detailed sky selection and on a new layer replaced the original sky with this blue gradient. The result is that although the sky looks almost identical to the original one, but without the blotchiness, it’s 100% fake and I’m not sure how I feel about that…

Hey Tom,
The sky doesn’t bother me. The river does though :slight_smile: it shouldn’t be brighter than the sky, IMO. I would darken it up a bit by using a blue selection. As is, it doesn’t look natural.

For you, what’s the main subject?

Thanks Matt. I dodged the river somewhat but maybe I went overboard - I will look into that. :slight_smile:
For me, the main subject is the river… Specifically the ‘straight line’ of the river cutting through that stand of spruce and fir trees.

1 Like

Ok cool. So if that’s the main subject I’m not sure you need the sky or the mountains really. The leading line of the river doesn’t really lead to anything.

1 Like

You’re right, it doesn’t lead to anything. I guess that I included the mountain simply to give the river a sense of place.

Totally makes sense man! Hope these comments are helpful.

1 Like

Definitely! I always enjoy taking these things through with someone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick note to say that I’ve uploaded a repost with the river burned a bit as per Matt’s suggestion. :slight_smile:

Also, if this image does nothing for you don’t be shy and please let me know. I promise I won’t be offended. I’d rather know than not know…

I like it!! I sort of wish the BG was a little darker – it feels a bit washed out, but maybe witht he FG in the shade there isn’t much more to be done without it looking forced? I love the river and the surrounding trees. I wonder if a squarify, cropping off the right 1/3 at the gap in the trees, would be a different but interesting image?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Diane_Miller , I appreciate it! I will definitely look into your crop suggestion to see how it feels.