Steaming landscape + repost

This is an autumn image, taken in south-east France while I was on my way with my daughter to the starting point of an easy climb of a 3000m summit in the Alpes Maritimes. The road was along the Verdon river and threads of water vapour hang over the river because it was a cold early morning, while mist was clearing from the hills at the other side of the river.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I have several versions of the image. This one has kept a small strip of water. Do you think a less tight crop would be better? Or do you prefer to get rid of the water completely? The water on the right side is a bit over-exposed and shows no detail anymore, so more water will add some regions without texture. This could probably be borrowed from other parts of the water, if necessary.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Pentax K5, 55-300mm @77.5mmm, f11 and 1/400s, ISO 200

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hans, this is very nicely mysterious as well as inviting. A view with a bit more up top, might be nice, but I’m not sure about that. I think the amount of river fits well and like the angled view up the valley.

Hey @Han_Schutten,
Lovely moody scene. That fog is awesome, and with backlight creates such a gorgeous interesting area.
I personally don’t like the fact that that left yellow tree distracts my eyes from the calm area on the right, maybe desaturate a bit and lower the brightness, IMO of course.
As far as the water goes. I would crop it a bit. I think it creates the illusion of a tilted image. Maybe crop it right on the verge of the water.
Thanks for sharing such a lovely image,
Cheers

Hans, I like this image very much. You have very powerful elements at play here, the backlit fog and trees, and the diagonal shapes of the ridge-lines. The processing looks excellent as well, and has done a great job of bringing out the most in the gorgeous light in this scene.

The river presents an interesting challenge. As @João_Ferrão mentioned the water creates the illusion of a tilt. The top of the river bank itself looks level. But the shadowed reflection of the trees on the left makes the strip of bright water more narrow on the left, and creates the illusion of the tilt. I don’t think the bright water on the right is an issue, to me it does not compete with the bright fog above. I would actually want to see more of the bright water at the bottom, rather than cropping it away. Here is a rework where I added 5% canvas at the bottom and cloned in more river. I also cloned away a bright bit of flare in the center of the image near the shoreline, and cloned over the blow out water on the right.

Great light and mood and quite a fascinating scene that I quite like. I really like what @Ed_McGuirk did in his rework, raising the level on an already very good image. Either way, really well done.

Thanks a lot, @JoĂŁo_FerrĂŁo, @Mark_Seaver, @Harley_Goldman and @Ed_McGuirk, for your valuable comments and the time you took, Ed, to change the image to your personal taste.
I repost the image with just a bit more water than @Ed_McGuirk did, and I desaturated and darkened the orange tree on the left a bit, as suggested by @João_Ferrão. I think, that this modification of the tree is not really necessary for me, but I’m open to your opinions.

1 Like

I like it better with the extra water you added Hans, it helps a bit more. I actually like the lone tree on the left at it’s original saturation, but that’s a matter of personal taste.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk for your response.
It was a very promising start of the day, and the afternoon rewarded us with an incredibly wide view in splendid weather.

Now seeing that I m really torn. Looks like I was wrong. I like this one too but after seeing the original I think I like the first one most. That’s why I have to start let my image “mature” some days before final edits eheh

Han,

The light and drama here with the scattered misty clouds is fantastic. A beautifully captured scene.

I’m one that happens to like the lone autumn colored tree on the left. And I’ll echo Ed’s thoughts and edits and really like your additional room on the bottom. Well done!

The only thing I might suggest is back off the extreme light values in the reflection - but honestly, the brightness and mist coming off the water is just a fitting anchor to the entire scene.

Lon

Han,
I may be the outlier but I like the lone orange tree on the left side, for me it gives a sense of balance so not all the color is on one side. For me the highlights on the right side are a little too bright but I’m very sensitive to bright, I have to edit images with my monitor at about 20% brightness. Other than that I really enjoy the image, nicely done. I do enjoy the extra what you added at the bottom by the way.

Thanks again to all who commented!! @andrew_hertel: I don’t think that you’re the outlier, the opionions are diverse. As always, personal taste is an important part of the assessment of images, and that’s a good thing.

1 Like