River rock s

I was at a Vt swimming hole, cooling off on a hot summer day. The water flowing over the rocks made these magical patterns, and I love patterns in nature!

Specific Feedback Requested

How might I make it stronger?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
taken with iphone camera–just basic edits in processing

4 Likes

I like this very much. Playing with water abstracts is a great way to explore. My suggestion for this would be to commit to a method with the dark water down between the rocks - either make it deeper black, eliminating some of those little blips, or lighten it so it has more detail overall. The triangle of the lighter rocks and the patterns in the water are beautiful.

Thanks, Kristen I will try your suggestion. Kat

Kat, welcome to NPN. Your abstract image is very good, I like the colors, the ripples. and how you have chosen what to include. Kristen have already pointed out what eventully could be improved. Well seen and captured.

Kat, I just love abstract images of water and light as you have captured here. I agree with Kristen’s suggestions. Play with both lightening and darkening those areas and see which works best. You may need to clone out the white specks in those dark areas. Very nice.

Kat, this is a delightful abstract. It tells a fine story about a bright sunny day and a quiet stream. The high contrast ripples look great. I also like that I can see some rippling in the darker parts between the rocks. Spot removal of the brightest little white spots would be a good improvement.

Lovely abstract – well seen! I would tend to favor a little more detail in the dark areas, but just a little. Going completely black wouldn’t look natural to me as you would likely see some detail there.

Hi Kat, ripples of light reflections are so cool! Thank you for posting this image. Hope you don’t mind - I read the suggestions of others and tried some edits to see what they would look like. Here they are - not sure if they are improvements…

a little more detail in dark area - increased exposure with local mask

less detail in dark areas - erased bright dots

small full image lighting adjustments

1 Like