Rocky Tides + Repost

This image was shot on a beach full of fascinating rock structures, with a very high tide coming in and crashing against the rocks. It took a lot of attempts to get the long exposure right, as too long of an exposure just white-washed everything. It was also hard to time the shutter click, as there were no predictable patterns in the direction of the wave crashes. In fact, the tides were constantly changing direction.

There was one particular instance, in which a wave crashed right over my head and drenched me to the bones. Thankfully, I had the instinct to pick up my tripod and turn my body away from the wave, so my camera was no worse for the wear. Camera gear before my own safety, apparently… :wink:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all feedback welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all feedback welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 6D MK1
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Single Shot
16mm - f/16 - ISO 100 - 2.5 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jimmyarcade

Re-worked Version:

Original Post Version:

2 Likes

Jimmy, you got the ss right on this one. There’s good motion in the moving water along with lots of shape, showing off the rocks very well. Well done.

1 Like

Oh, lovely! Really nice use of movement in the water vs the eroded rocks in the middle of the frame. The ss was good - the water has movement and isn’t just a blurry cloud. The sky at the end of the leading line of water feels quite bright. Perhaps toning down just the highlights a bit would keep our eyes more towards the center.

And wow, keep an eye on those waves! Been there, done that, and it’s scary.

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Seaver and @Bonnie_Lampley, thank you taking the time to offer up your complimentary words. Yes, I was happy with this shutter speed. I have some other images where I wanted to keep things looking a bit more orderly and I’ll probably post one of more of those images, but I loved the feeling of turbulent waters in this image. It’s more emotional.

Bonnie, thank you for your suggestion to tone down the highlights. I did a re-assessment and agree the highlights are pulling the eye away from the rock formations. I also found the left part of the sky and bottom corners to be a bit too dark. I’ll be posting a re-worked version sometime today or tomorrow. Cheers! :slight_smile:

@Mark_Seaver @Bonnie_Lampley, I have now posted a new, re-worked version of the image, with the following revisions:
*Reduced highlights, within the part of the sky where the leading line of brighter water ends
*Opened shadows from bottom corners of image
*Additional, targeted dodging and burning
*Spot removal to remove distractions
*Added TK clarity to rock formations, selectively, via masking/painting

This re-work feels more balanced to me, but I’m certainly open to additional critique or suggestions.

Thank you, again, for your encouragement and constructive feedback! :pray: