Rodent

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this guy a few days ago at a local park’s marsh area. Not sure if it is a mouse or a rat. Either way, I was glad s/he came out into the dewy open grass long enough for a photo. S/he quickly went back into the reeds as people approached on the walking path nearby.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
ISO 2500, f6.3, 1/1250s, hand held

1 Like

Cute, with wonderful detail on the wet fur, and the hint of the tail. The BG is nicely subdued and what might be the more distracting grasses are pleasingly OOF.

Oh what a fun little rodent. Not sure, but I think it’s some kind of mouse. I like the wet fur, too. Overall the light palette serves the photo quite well. Not sure if I love it dead center, but that’s just me. Those ears knock me out.

The dewy grass and droplets on the mouse really add a lot to this portrait. Agree with Kristen on the position of the mouse. I actually wouldn’t have an issue with cropping off some of the tail but if you want to keep it, then I’d add some canvas in front. But this is a fun shot. I haven’t caught many mice in my viewfinder. :slight_smile:

I love the dew soaked subject and the environment.
I shows some nice details but long range zooms have some limitations.