Korean Water Deer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We surprised each other on a trail today. This deer gets its name from usually being found near rivers and lakes, often hiding out all day in the rushes. A male like this one grows very long canines, which he bares and uses in the rutting season when battling for supremacy with other males.

Specific Feedback

You know how it is - you struggle to get a shot of a small bird in deep shady undergrowth (in this case it was a wren). Then suddenly to one side out pops a large mammal in broad daylight. No time to adjust the settings. Anyway, the deer was a bit soft and noisy - did I rescue enough of the picture?

Technical Details

D500 + 150-600mm (@600mm) 1/6400 f6.3 ISO 4000

Cropped a little. Then Denoise, tonalities in PS, lightening of muzzle with Nik Viveza, sharpening.

Mike, I love the image and how the deer is looking in the distance. There is enough space on the left to give the image breathing room.

I think you did a really good job. Sharpness is very good on the deer.

I have had similar situations. What saved me is that I have the three programmable camera buttons set for different situations. That way, I don’t have to make too many changes. I just change the button to the right setting.

1 Like

Sharpness and light are good! I’ve never seen a creature like this, and wouldn’t want to upset one!

1 Like