Desert Deer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was hiking along a trail when I got the eerie feeling I was being watched, and sure enough I turned around and there he was! I am a newer photographer, especially to wildlife photography, and it was exhilarating sharing space in the quiet desert with this beautiful animal.

Specific Feedback

I am open to all feedback, especially regarding my editing and what is pleasing to the eye and what is distracting.

Technical Details

ISO 500
f/5.6
1/240 sec
Post processing included white balance adjustments adding warmth, contrast, saturation/vibrance, and some other small tweaks.

Hi Tori !
Welcome to NPN !
The lower POV makes the deer look majestic, although you didn’t mention the lens, but it appears to be a long range zoom.
Looking forward to more images from your camera.

What a beautiful shot! I love the balance between the browns and the dark greens. His face is almost exactly centered in the image, so for the future, I’d suggest trying to put it a little off center (I like to play with my images in Photoshop using the crop tool with the overlays, esp. Triangle, Golden Ratio and Golden Spiral, and cycle the orientation to get a feel for what is good balance in an image). In this case, the centering doesn’t bother me much, though, because his body is visible and balances with the brown shrubbery in the lower left. Some might be concerned about the bright sky in the top left, but that tall, backlit cholla and the greenery and twigs add interest to the area for me. Overall, just beautiful.