White-tailed deer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this deer in a field before sunrise recently.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 4000, f5.6, 1/500s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

1 Like

Wonderful, both! Beautiful subject, setting and light, with perfect DOF! Couldn’t get any better!

1 Like

Beautiful, dreamy image. I prefer the leg orientation of the second.

1 Like

Great setting and beautiful frame, well suited for card or calender use !
I just love the pastel colors and romantic mood here.
You may experiment with darkening the mid tones and one more vote for second image :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Hi Allen, just glorious! The gentle but definite movement, the pastel colors, the beautiful bokeh, and the perfect, clean composition – all entrancing! Ordinarily I’d prefer the second image, by just a hair, because I prefer to see animals on their ‘lift-off’ to seeing them ‘landing.’ But in this case, I prefer your first image. She’s moving gracefully; her eye has more catchlight than in the second image; and we get to see her namesake white tail fully unfurled – and that last part is what really makes it for me (since I don’t get to see many white-tails anymore, living in Oregon). Wonderful photo, and I really wish I’d taken it! – Best, Michael

1 Like

I love both of these Allen. In the first one I wish there was more separation between the front legs but not a deal breaker and I generally prefer the take off pose of animals as your second image shows but I really like both of these. If I had to pick one I’d pick the second image just because of the front leg issue on the first one.
The soft, dreamlike pastel colors are the icing on the cake and the soft light is to die for. I agree with @JRajput about darkening the mid tones to get a little bit more contrast.