White-tailed deer with fawn + repost # 3

Another try :upside_down_face:. Went back to Raw and changed White balance to Shady.

Latest version above.

Thought I’d add this version above. I cut down on the green from the original version.

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Went on a drive around sunrise this morning. It was really foggy out. I came across this deer with a fawn on a dirt side road.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 4000, f5.6, 1/500s, hand held from vehicle

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

1 Like

I like the pose and setting, but the green cast is overwhelming in the original and I think you went a bit too far into magenta to fix it. WB is a bugbear sometimes. Are you using auto wb in camera? I don’t often because it rarely hits right, at least for me. I usually start with one of the standard settings and tweak it until it matches if needed. Anyway, I brought this into Ps to see what I could do. It isn’t perfect, but a step in the right direction -

It’s a nice moment with the wariness of a prey species on full display.

1 Like

Thanks Kris. I like what you’ve done here. I’ll go back and revisit the image.
I never use auto white balance but think I had it set on daylight from the prior day’s shooting.

Updated. See latest version at the top.

So sweet!!! Wonderful IQ and a very compelling look from the fawn.

Good suggestions on color by @Kris_Smith. Soft lighting is the most difficult, and after we look at an image for a while, out brains color balance it for us. Frustrating!!

1 Like

better, but still rather pink to me. I hate wb issues.

Thanks @Kris_Smith , @Diane_Miller , had time to tonight to redo the Raw processing. I better be more careful on white balance when processing foggy images…

Better, but you have a yellow cast now. I rarely even look at the presets – they are only broad suggestions. Maybe one could be close but the Temp and Tint sliders are the way to go. Balanced, of course, with all the other sliders… For this one, I’d pull the Tint microscopically right (less green) and the Temp a little left (cooler). Then tweak the Black slider down a tiny bit.

1 Like

Allen: I like the layering of the deer as the fawn stands alongside its mother. I agree with Diane’s last post that the WB is now a bit too yellow, but that is correctable. The other issue you might consider is to tone down the bright band behind the mother.