Lone Deer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

During the night and through the day, a light snow fell covering some of the deer as well as the vegetation. I saw this buck browsing in some very tall and dense vegetation and took some photos of it immediately. I waited for it to emege from the vegetation to see its entire body, but it never did. I like the minimalism of this photo. What do you folks think?

Technical Details

F/8, 1/1250 and Auto ISO. Edited in LR, cropped a bit and added a vignette.

Excellent minimalist photo. Plus I love the silly expression. Seems like he wasn’t bothered by your presence at all. No quibbles from me except for the twig that crosses in front of his eyeball, but I’m not sure that’s correctible.

Denise: thanks for your comment. I considered removing the twig that crosses the deer’s eye, but decided to leave it as is for no good reason other than laziness. :sunglasses: Richard

Cool image – literally as well as figuratively! I think animals pose with small branches in front of their eyes on purpose, from the number of times it happens. Are they trying to hide, or are they giving us the finger?

Diane: Thank you for your comment. The unequivocal answer to your question is both! :sunglasses: Richard

I’ve looked at this several times Richard, and the more I look the better I like it. I like the minimalist essence, and I even like the brush going across the face of this buck. I am also wondering just how many more are hiding in that brush that you don’t see. . .

ED: many thanks for having taken the time to comment. It is appreciated.

The simplicity of the photo is what attracts me. The subdued tones and the uncomplicated foliage are the perfect background for the antlers and face of the deer. Your composition makes his position powerful. I love all of it.

I think this is a stellar image, Richard. It’s the minimalism that makes it so special. I also love the fact that he looks like he’s very happy with a smile on his face. I don’t know if it’s actually the case but the image looks like it could use a little bit of CW rotation. Bothe yellow band and the brown band in the ULC are tilted. However, this may be a natural phenomenon say take suggestion as you see fit. :joy:

Barbara and Ed: thank you for your comments which are appreciated. Ed: the color bands you see are rollilng hills covered by fields of different colored vegetation.