First Winter

I love hiking in the winter. It’s so peaceful. Making the day perfect I was able to watch a family of deer foraging under the snow and dead leaves. They didn’t mind my presence and this young one was very curious!

Specific Feedback Requested

I really like a square format, just wondering why square isn’t very common and if it’s ok to use?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon d3400
ISO 800
300mm
f/6.3
1/400
Cropped and slightly lowered exposure, I could have had a lower ISO, which would have been better, but I was in dark woods and as the deer weren’t going anywhere I kept lowering my shutter speed and kind of forgot about the ISO.

naturenessie

To answer you question, there are times that the square format works. In this case, if you stick with square, I’d raise the eyes a bit in the frame. Centered side to side works fine with this straight on look. However, if it were mine I wouldn’t choose square in this shot. Normally having so much vegetation is not preferred but this does convey the sense of the deer’s curiosity peeking through it all. But choosing a vertical crop would remove more of the distracting vegetation and the other deer that isn’t really adding to the image. Especially true with the single bright tree trunk on the right. You did a great job of getting focus on the animal through the trees. And it’s nice she has a catchlight in the eye.

Thank you! Do you think this looks better? It’s funny, I originally had it like this but lately I’ve been trying the square format because I just discovered it as an option.

I would prefer to see the eyes closer to the top 3rds line, maybe a bit above it. Either the 2/3 or 4/5 crop could work. You just have to decide which better portrays your intent. Next time you see deer, watch which way they are going, anticipate where they will arrive at an opening in the trees and wait or move quietly so you can get a shot without the out of focus branches in front.

1 Like

Good to know that not everyone likes this look. I actually wanted the deer peeking through. The original version is a whole woods view with a few deer in the background. I kind of like the blending in look. I have other photos where they’re right in front of me, I just thought this looked more wild. But I appreciate another perspective from someone who didn’t experience it. Thanks!

And that’s what counts the most - your intent and what you like that helps express that. :slight_smile:

That’s sweet of you to say but I would like my photos to speak to my audience as well… But I guess not everything will. I really do appreciate your insights and taking the time with me!

Hi Vanessa !

I like your peekaboo moment!
Like Terri suggested, square comp. works effectively with few compositions. In the first post
you need some more room at the bottom, however second post looks cool and I like how well the color pallet of the deer and environment matches.

1 Like

Thank you, so much, for your time and feedback! I’m glad you liked it.