That’s Close!

I was watching a group of deer in the woods and just standing on the trail photographing them. I could see they were going to walk across the trail so held my breath and tried to be as ready and still as possible! I just had no idea they would cross this close! Usually my 300mm isn’t long enough! But in this instance it was almost too long! :slight_smile:
But it was really neat that they came so close and just checked me out briefly, and continued on their way!

Specific Feedback Requested

I also have a profile view so would like feedback on which might be better.
Anything, I’m looking at this more as a portrait shot. I know the ear is cut off but it was one take and I didn’t want to change my position and startle the deer.
It was pretty dark and am wondering if exposure, and shadows look ok.
Anything else!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 3200
300mm
f/6.3
1/640
(Handheld as always, I noticed some write this but I thought it’s a given, I don’t have a tripod anyway)
Adjusted shadows and slight sharpen

naturenessie

Oh such lovely light. And yeah your thought that the lens was too long is right - the ears are clipped in both shots. I would have zoomed out a bit so I had some room to play with a crop rather than doing it this tightly in camera. What a fabulous experience though. White tails are so weird - sometimes they flip out and run at the least thing and other times you can practically crash into them. Silly things.

1 Like

I would have too if I had time! If I tried to fiddle with stuff there would have been no shots! The ones before these are pretty funny! It looks like she’s just standing there but was moving across the path the whole time!

Hi, Vanessa. Yeah, woulda been nice if the ears weren’t cut off, but wow…what lighting! Sounds like a fun experience. At least you got some shots to remember it by, and they are beautiful.

1 Like

@terryb @Kris_Smith sounds like I messed up what could’ve been a great picture! Oh well! :slight_smile:

This is how we learn. Wildlife photography is a fast-moving craft. I stink at it. But I got a photo blind and am going to give it a go in the spring.

1 Like

Naw…you didn’t mess up. As Kris said, wildlife doesn’t normally pose for us. Sometimes, ya just gotta take the shot and hope for the best. They’re still awesome photos.

1 Like

I did camo for awhile but felt kind of weird cause it wasn’t like I was in the wilderness! But I think it might of worked in some situations.

Thanks, you’re too kind

1 Like

Definitely the first one for me. Yeah, would have been nice to have not clipped the ears, but for me it does not diminish the image at all. Looks good.

1 Like

@Harley_Goldman Thanks, Harley! Glad I’m not alone! I like it too but thought maybe I have strange taste, because I do seem to like things that other people don’t like! Like Turkey Vultures, for instance.

Hi Vanessa!

Between the two, I would prefer the first one for play of light on the face.