Who Are You?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was walking in the woods recently on the way to photograph a nearby hoot owl nest and I came upon this doe that let me shoot her before trotting off.

Specific Feedback

Should I tone down the foreground grass some? Anything else?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1600th, f 9.0, 370mm, ISO 2800, cropped to 5752 x 4592

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

HI Dave. I 'm moving this to Wildlife as I don’t see a bird in it. Cool angle on the deer.

D-

Apologies! I am such a creature of habit. The big portion of my posts are avian. No excuse… Thanks for your help.

d

You could tone down the grass if you like, but it’s such an engaging photo that I don’t think it matters. It adds even more cheerfulness if that’s possible. I can imaging the bright sunny day, warm on my face and a gentle breeze. It also helps balance the photo since the subject is on the other side and so are those heavy trees. Her expression of curiosity - oh those ears! Like radar dishes pointed right at you. Your processing looks darn good; natural colors and light; no forced shadows. You could tone down the sharpening in the background if you did it globally and if not taking a slight blur or de-clarity action there could help ease the tonalities. What a fun encounter. All the deer I saw the other day were racing away and all I saw were those white fluffy tails!

Nice pose on the deer Dave and good sharpness. Giving you a quizzical look from above. Looks good to me in general.