Round-lobed Hepatica

The first spring ephemeral wildflowers started blooming late last week, with the Round-lobed Hepatica (Hepatica americana) shown here, being the first to open. A return visit 3 days later found a number of new types blooming, so spring is here. These flowers come in blue, white or pink. The partial leaves at the bottom are the ones for this flower. (R5, 180 mm macro + 36 mm extension tubes, 1/250 s, f/10, iso 400, tripod, 21 shot stack, cropped to 8.5 x 11)

3 Likes

Oooh this is lovely. Another month and ours will be up, too. The shadows look nice here, I’m always a fan of that with this species. And I like the little hints of their extreme fuzziness that you have here. I didn’t detect anything weird in the stack. Super color.

Such a beautiful flower, I just love color, Mark. It is always nice to start seeing signs of spring. I like how the flower is framed between the two leaves. Very nice.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

It snowed last night which caused a bufflehead to spend the day on our pond. No wildflowers yet. A very nice close-up portrait with excellent sharpness and wonderful DOF through stacking. The shadows look ok as well. Well done…Jim

I’m trying to catch up here after a busy spell and just saw this – I love the framing and the shadows on the flower. Perfect light, and the texture of the petals is amazing. Wonderful stack!!