Above Fallen Leaves

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While photographing the spring ephemeral wildflowers, I thought I’d attempt a view that fit this week’s challenge, so here’s an attempt at a minimallist wildflower view. This is Round-lobed Hepatica (Hepatica americana) as it pops up from the leaves covering the forest floor.

Technical Details

R5, 180mm macro, 1/800 s, f/4, iso 400, tripod, 2 s timer, 45 shot stack

2 Likes

Wonderful up close image here, Mark. The short DOF and BG color works perfectly in promoting the small flower. I might have been tempted to trim the tiny debris between the leaves, but totally subjective call there… :sunglasses:

Hee hee. That’s not debris, that is part of the plant itself. When they are buds, the coverings are fuzzy to protect from freezing. I love photographing them when they are like that. The stems are fuzzy, too. Ours are coming along so I might get out there with the macro and see what there is so far. This one has some great color in shades they don’t produce often, at least not around here. Lovely shadows from the stamens, too.

Kris, I figured it was part of the plant. I was just doing my usual overzealous “housekeeping” applications in mind… :clown_face:

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for my presumption. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Beautiful shot, Mark. I like how the stem of the flower isn’t really visible in this image (maybe there’s a hint of it, but I’m not sure), so that the flower appears to be hovering over the forest floor. I also really like how the purple flower contrasts with the brown background.

Nice color combination here Mark. I really like the tiny tendrils in the margins, and the shadows of the stamens.