Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Shot this one this evening in my yard. Five flash set up. Flower dipped in sugar water.

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x TC III, tripod, speedlites at 1/8 power
ISO 200, f20, 1/250s

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Great job. You caught a nice pose with good detail. The background works well with the flower and gorget.

Perfect in every way here, Allen…:+1:

Wonderful pose and composition, Allen. This makes me wish the deer and Pine Siskins hadn’t deflowered my honeysuckle this year! I do think you still need to tweak your flash setup a bit. This is looking flashed and if you get it just right, that appearance goes away. I don’t have any experience myself, but Keith gets some very natural looking results with his setup and he might be able to give you some more detailed advice.

Having just learned how to do this on my recent trip to Central America in April, courtesy of Chuck Gangas, I can attest to the subtleties of producing an image that does not look flashed. This isn’t bad, in fact on my monitor it barely looks flashed. I would be very happy with this image. There are so many variables involved with a 5 flash set up and I am still learning the intricacies. Keith and Nate are very good at doing this. I think the learning curve is rather steep to produce a perfect image.

Outstanding. Excellent DOF, detail and pose. The flowers and background all work well with the hummer. Well done!