Rugged beauty

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the overall landscape and the textures. I also like how I tried of composing it (please correct me if I am mistaken)

Creative direction

I want this to have a grand landscape feel, and I want to edit it as properly as I can in lightroom. I don’t use Photoshop, but happy to try if that’s the way to go.

I want to drive the viewer’s eye from the center fg to the landscape in the bg.

My goal is to enter this in competitions and print it as well.

Specific Feedback

Please give whatever feedback comes to your mind. I would like your “initial reaction”, and anything aesthetic wise as well.

Technical Details

Taken on Canon R5 + RF 24-70mm. Focus bracketed shot (Auto Aligned and Blended in PS)

Focal length - 50mm
shutter speed - 1/125sec
f/11
ISO 200

Description

This shot is around 10-15 mins after sunrise. I was excited and intimidated by the complex landscape around me.

I tried to test my composition by having an entryway sort of fg leading to the massive background.

I can see what you liked about this image. There is a grandness about it for sure. Although the light is gentle there is a flatness to it at this time of day., especially in those distant mountains. There is a lack of color in this image as well. I tried to overcome this by moving the white point to bring more contrast, the fg required less than the background. That made the sky too bright so I brought that back down separately. Then I increased the saturation slightly with HSL. I think there is too much color in the sky right now. Everything was done crudly just to show the idea. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I think Igor is on to something with this edit for sure. I also would have liked to see a bit more room on the right or a bit more balance between the left horizon and right side but if you cropped on the left you’d lose those nice pointy pinnacles… nice work.

1 Like

Love your suggestion. Thank you, Igor. I will implement that.

How is this?