Runic Reflection

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

This is one of my fine art images. I’d like feedback about impact, composition, the texture effect that was added.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is a photo of reeds and their reflection in a wetland area. The day was hazy, so the water wasn’t attractive; it works far better in black and white. I brightened it, increased the contrast, and added the texture effect for just a little added interest. Non-photographers are often drawn to it, but I want to find out what those with a photographic eye have to say.

Technical Details

ISO 200, f7.1, 1/500

Specific Feedback

Please provide feedback and comments about the aesthetic and emotional aspects of the image.

2 Likes

I’ve always liked this kind of reflections image, Denise, and this is no exception. The choice of crop is interesting and effective. I like the lighting with the gradient from darker at the bottom to lighter at the top. I could take or leave the border-it doesn’t offend me, but for my taste it doesn’t add anything either. There’s some underwater stuff showing in the bottom of the frame, and to keep the elegant simplicity of the image, I think removing that, if possible, would make this fine image even better.

Hi Denise, welcome to NPN! Wonderful geometric shapes in the upper portion of your image. There is a beautiful “arc” created by the vertical reeds that intersect nicely with the other shapes. The reflection at the bottom helps to soften the rigid lines and brings balance to the composition. I find that the border and texture distract my eye. I could also see this as a high key black and white image. Nice work Denise.

I tried your suggestion for the high-key image, no border. I’m not sure what to do about the lower third where the deepening blue of the water (which was in shadow compared to the brighter portion at the top) stayed grayish. I literally took the blues and aqua tones to the limit of the sliders to completely eliminate them. Even tried moving all the individual color sliders to their limits, but still ended up with this gray tone at the bottom. Suggestions? Or is it ok with the bit of shading?

I like the revised image, Denise. The background has an almost silver look that would look really good on a metallic paper and the slight gradient is fine for my taste. If you wanted to go whole hog for the high key look, you could use a curves or levels adjustment as below, but I think I’d stick with what you have here.

1 Like

This looks good Denise. The shaded bottom works as does the brighter version that Dennis shared. More importantly, do you prefer your original? I ask because I didn’t want to impede your vision for the image.

Thank you for all the feedback. Regarding my first version, I’ve gotten nice compliments on it from non-photographers, but the creamy tones (an ambrotype texture effect; the lighter grayish fuzziness at the bottom was supposed to represent film imperfections as part of the creamy texture overlay) limit where and how it can be displayed. I think that some images can be worked multiple ways and will appeal to different audiences based on their personal preferences, so I appreciate the ideas that made me re-work this image differently than I’d originally imagined it.

1 Like

I really like this reflection photograph. Maybe a slight vignette … Great lines and contrast !!!

Denise, I find your original very nicely calm and contemplative. The textures in the “background” add a lot to that feeling. The shapes of the reeds, especially the bent ones, add good viewing interest. The high-key version is by contrast very stark and forebidding.

I love the deceptive simplicity, at first glance they are just lines, then the realisation from the gentle undulations this is a water scene, and then seeing the shoal of fish the reeds create. I rather like the warmer tone of it as well. (I prefer the original to the high key version.)

Denise,

Classic and elegant design. This is one of those scenes that I’m always on the look out for, when around water. I think you’ve done a great job isolating this. And from my own personal vault of guidelines, I like that you’ve purposefully not included the top’s of the reeds. Now, probably because the background beyond would have ruined the simplicity, but the reason is irrelevant really. My own little rule and check when composing… when you’re going to cut something off, do it on purpose! In other words, it’s not like it was oversight.

I really like the repost. Which BTW, you can always edit your original post and include the reworked image below (or above) your original. This way viewers can cycle thru between the large view versions. no biggie, just fyi.

Personally I prefer the cleaner border the cleaned up bottom. Actually, I think the border in your original would work great and perhaps more appropriate if you had a sepia toned presentation - as if it was a photograph from the 19th century.

The great news is that you have a beautiful, and again elegant capture and presentation.

If I hadn’t already, welcome to NPN!

Thank you Lon. I appreciate you comment about editing the original post to include the reworked image. I had missed that when I was reading through information about posting. Will try it next time.

Yes, I’d purposely cut off the tops of the reeds. They didn’t seem to add anything. And because the ripples in the water caused the slight waviness in the reflection, it seemed better to focus on that.

I so want to rotate this 90 degrees into a horizontal, just seems perfect with the geometric shapes in the image.