Reflections

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was near the end of the day, we were staying with our youngest daughter whom lives out in the countryside in a conservancy about an hour and a half outside the city of Johannesburg where we live.It is such a beautiful peaceful place with very few people around, the exact opposite of where we live.I wanted to try and convey the feeling of calm and the ending of a day with this image.

Technical Details

Taken with a Nikon D3s and the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 Ultra macro lens, at ISO 200 and 1/500 second exposure.Processed and edited in Adobe Lightroom.

This is quite appealing. It’s very simple, but it has a certain rhythm with the way you sized and framed the layers of reeds and their reflections and the clouds and blue sky. The saturation feels a bit overdone to me, but that may be my personal preference speaking. The colors look realistic. Also, it looks like you placed a vignette along the sides; it’s a bit obvious. Dialing it back and/or feathering it more would allow it to blend into the scene better.

I like the composition of this image but I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley that bit less saturation might be better. I’d add that it would be worth exploring reducing the brightness a bit. The upper part is a little hot.

I think this has the makings of a nice image.

Thanks for your reply Bonnie,
looking at it again maybe the saturation has been overdone a bit,as to the vignette I applied no such thing,it maybe down to the Laowa lens and not having a profile for it set up in Lightroom my editing software.

1 Like

This caught my attention right away with the thumbnail. Very unique image. I love the layers in this image and it certainly is peaceful although I think if you toned down the reeds with both reduced contrast and saturation it would feel even more calming and peaceful. I agree with @Bonnie_Lampley about the dark edges that are not well blended in and if it is the lens you can easily fix this in post. Nice image, Neil!

1 Like

I really love this picture. The way you framed the clouds with the reeds is really appealing. The shapes of the reeds are also very nice. I agree with others that the reeds are a little over saturated and thus over powering the calming sense of the clouds. you might want to try to balance the saturation and vibrance of the two sections of the picture to create a more cohesive whole. but I really love the composition and it drew my eye right away.

1 Like