A Simple Complication

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

If it doesn’t work for you, feel free to let me know :slight_smile: I’ve been thinking these days about the fine line between simply intriguing and simply boring, and this is an image of mine from last year that I recently dug up and processed that I think gives an example of the fine line I sometimes try to walk. Probably each person might have their own different opinion about which side this falls on. I also probably like this image more just because I like the title haha.

Any pertinent technical details:

Single shot of branches along the edge of a lake at sunrise.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I like this very much. I particularly like the background as presented. I certainly don’t find it boring. Usually a background such as this is presented with a few graceful reeds with a lot of negative space. But this is different. I like the repeating arcs within the central reed. And the sparse reeds on both sides add a lot to this image. It’s really an abstract. I have no suggestions on how to improve this.

1 Like

I do not find your image boring at all, @Nathaniel_Merz. It is the type of image I tend to observe a bit longer than others. This is in my opinion the power of abstract/intimate image. Keep taking boring images like this one :grin:

1 Like

Nathaniel, keep walking that fine line, especially if it leads to images like this. This is a simple, but very elegant image. I enjoyed spending time studying the shapes and patterns of the reeds. i also really enjoy your understated colors here, they don’t overpower the delicate patterns in the reeds.

1 Like

Big on a wall would be even better!

1 Like

Nice and clean, simple and sweet, very calming, and best of all, it’s a perfect example of “less is more.” What’s wonderful about this it that the water is so perfectly calm, with only the slightest hint of gentle waves, All those tiny branches seem to lie at a common plane of focus, and yet it’s hard to make out a discernable waterline. Nathaniel, this is a real pleasure to view.

1 Like

I really enjoy this shot Nathaniel. The simplicity of the subject combined with that wonderful warm/cool color gradient and the very subtle ripples on the surface of the water really give this photo a lot of depth. Very well seen and captured.

2 Likes

Nathaniel, this works BEAUTIFULLY for me! Simple is almost always a good thing. The reeds are fine anchoring the scene here, but it’s the color gradient that had me from the beginning. I would have been all over this myself had I walked by this scene. Simple, but quite elegant. Love this image. Congrats!

One wish and one small nitpick. You’ve got a few dust bunnies; one in the LRC and a few UL. No biggie unless of course you’re going to print. The small wish would be a bit more space up top, and even bottom for the simple reason of having more color gradient to enjoy!

Wish it were mine. Beautiful.

Lon

1 Like

Beautiful! Simple, quiet and serene. No suggestions, just enjoying it.

1 Like

This really nice. The symmetry of the composition, both vertically and horizontally works very well. The gradient is beautiful. No nits from me . Well done!
-P

1 Like

I can’t add much to the other’s comments. The colors are killer in this image! I have a couple of these type of scenes that I used to like :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

This is simply delicious!!! I’m not sure that there is much I could suggest in this regard other than I might be tempted to clone out the reeds closest to the edges, possibly, but that would be it. Beautifully seen and captured!!!

1 Like

Yes. Dig it!

1 Like

Not the tiniest nit from me - excellent as is. Not boring at all, if one takes the time to really SEE the lines, reflections, colour grading, balance, and ripples.
If forced to make a critique, I’d suggest perhaps leaving a little more room at the top to balance tyhe image. I usually leave a tad MORE at the top than the bottom.
Sandy

1 Like

Thanks for the critique Sandy. Now that I look at it, I agree. I think I likely cropped it as tight as I did because there was something on each side of the main branches if I remember correctly, but in hindsight, I could just of easily shot wider and maybe cropped in a bit on each edge to give the reeds more breathing room on the top and bottom.

Thanks everyone for all the comments! Glad this one seems to fall on the right side of the line for most :wink: @Lon_Overacker Thanks for pointing out the dust bunnies. Funnily (sadly) enough I printed this once at home before I noticed the biggest one that is visible here. Forgot to remove again before posting haha.

edit looks like I am stumbling over myself making mistakes with the reply system haha. Sorry about that

I really like this, too. Simple, calm, peaceful, gorgeous colors and the color gradient is stunning. Yup, someone said it ought to be big. I agree.
Nicely done.