Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum Fruit

Probably my favorite large shrub or small tree in my landscape, the Rusty Blackhaw is truly a plant for all seasons of interest. The name comes from the rusty brown hairs on the undersides of leaves, buds and stems. Clusters of small, white flowers mature in early spring attracting beneficial insects, butterflies and hummingbirds, followed in fall by clusters of fruit that start out green, turn to shades of red, then blue, and finally black, and are relished by birds. The leaves have excellent fall color. Clearwing hummingbird moth caterpillars dine on the leaves, and pupate in a thin cocoon in leaf litter, where they remain during the cold months, emerging as moths in late spring or early summer to visit flowers during the warm months. What more could one ask for of a plant?

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/9.5, 1/1000 sec., ISO 400 Handheld. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE 2020 for exposure and color tweaking.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Terry: Thanks for the back story and for a fine image. I especially like the lighting on the berries and the BG. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate your comments.

Terry, I can’t think of a thing more that one could ask for of a plant to have in the yard. Never heard of it, and I need to check to see if it is native to NC. It is amazing all the benefits for all the different species. Not to mention that it is nice to look upon. I really like how you included the out of focus blue that I am guessing is more of the berries. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks, Shirley. Part of the blue in the photo is more berries (the tree is loaded with them), and part is the sky. This viburnum is indeed native to NC, and most of the eastern U.S. It’s very easy to grow, thriving in a variety of soil conditions, and in sun and shade. It also has a relative, Blackhaw Viburnum (Viburnum prunifolium) with most of the same attributes.

1 Like

Terry, this sounds like an outstanding “yard” plant. I’m thoroughly enjoying the mix of blues and greens here. You’re showing off this plant well. I am thinking that moving a bit to your right (and maybe lower) so that the berry cluster is up and left in the frame (as long as that keeps those fine blue tones in the back) would be good.

1 Like

Interesting, Mark. I seem to always want to center the main subject, but I think your suggestion sounds terrific. I moved all around this tree, trying to find the “right” cluster of berries to photograph, but never considered moving it upper left once I had what I wanted. Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks