Sax Zim Bog Barred Owl

What technical feedback would you like if any? Exposure, depth of field, should BG be sharper. Did darken the BG some.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Overall composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Canon R, Canon 100-400mm F-4.5/5.6L @ 371mm
1/640 @ F-5.6 ISO 1000. Sky was overcast, light on the flat side.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hello, John, one of those birds on my wish list. I love the light, subjects and overall mood. For the composition you may consider a 1:1 ratio, getting rid of the OOF greens on the left hand side… Nice catch ! Cheers, Hans

Well done to find one out in the open. Sometimes there is just not a lot you can do about the bg highlights. It is just a function of where the bird is perched.
I might try to selectively lightened the eyes just a bit. And perhaps you have looked at a vertical crop although I do like the woodsy environment the owl is in. So perhaps a 5 x 7 crop?
Nice that you did not use full zoom leaving a nice space around the owl.

What really helps him (her?) stand out are the rich browns of the feathers, and the contrast with the whites. I agree with @Hans_Overduin regarding the crop as the OOF greens aren’t adding too much to the overall scene to my interpretation. I also like @David_Leroy’s recommendation, but would broaden it to brightening the face subtly so the whites match the brightness of the whiter feathers. Great capture and good eye to see this one! I stink at seeing owls!