Asian Barred Owlet

A portrait of Asian Barred Owlet photographed in Kaziranga National Park (India).

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
TechSpec: 1/100 sec, f/5.6, ISO-800

4 Likes

This is a beautiful image of this owl, Sandipan. The detail ia excellent with a nice perch and background. I think a crop to vertical would also work very well for this.

1 Like

Hi Dennis, Thanks for your comment. Appreciate it. I agree that vertical crop would have worked too, but the reason I chose a squarish crop was that I thought the OOF foliage at both sides was helping to frame the bird nicely and also providing some color contrast.

The green foliage does do a nice job of framing the bird, Sandipan. You might consider bringing the brightness of the green on the left down just a bit. To me it’s just bright enough to pull my eye a bit that way.

1 Like

Hi Dennis, Sure I will try that.

What a great looking Owl. The curved perch is really nice and for that reason, I would opt for your horizontal/square-ish crop rather than a vertical. I do find the greens a bit overpowering, and overall, there is a green color cast. Very noticeable in the branch, but it is also there on the owl,
Here’s a version with the greens toned down a bit, color cast worked, and a bit more light on the owl. Also a subtle custom vignette.

2 Likes

Hi Keith, That’s great. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Oh my, what a beautiful Owl. And that’s a great capture with the branch and the blurred background. Well done.

1 Like

What a nice posed shot and perch. I don’t get to see many owls, I would desaturate the greens much more.

1 Like

Such a wonderful image. No suggestions concerning the owl because it is so well presented. Ido agree with de-saturating the green areas, and suggest removal of the narrow, dark area in the lower right corner.

2 Likes

Very compelling image with an excellent centered portrait view. The detail, pose, perch, and color of the owl are wonderful. I agree with Keith that the green in the original image was a little overwhelming. I like his crop in his removal of the greenish cast on the perch. The crop does a better job of emphasizing the owl.

1 Like

Great species and a very nice perch as well. Toning down the greens, as Keith did, makes it even better! Nice one ! Hans