Scattered and nearly shattered

Image Description

Wisconsin is home to many orchid species, but the one I’m most familiar with, Pink lady’s slipper, I hardly ever see. So when I found this spent seed pod in a nature preserve that I know fairly well, I hope I can find it in the summer. It’s on the edge of a bog and since I snowshoed straight across it, I don’t know if there is a trail that can also get me to this spot. Either way I’m glad I found it and really liked that it had split so you can see through to the snow behind.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The presentation is a bit awkward because of two shadows on either side from some trees. As it is I had to even out some lighter shadows and that was a challenge. Any ideas for processing welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for all processing - not much needed doing globally so I relied on masking to even out the tones in the snow and to put some sharpening, texture & clarity into the plant itself. Cropped to 4:5.

1 Like

@_Kris - I always enjoy your “small scenes” photos, and this is no exception - no quibbles from me. You should have tied a bright ribbon to it to find it again in the summer!

Thanks @Mike_Friel - you are in the minority. Grand landscapes are so universally admired that its tough going for the photographer of very small things, but I keep at it. And yeah, I should have tied a weather balloon nearby! If I can brave the bugs. This is right on the edge of a large bog and in summer it is hell.

This is so lovely, Kris. I agree with @Mike_Friel about tying a ribbon to it so you can find it later! I’ve only seen Lady Slippers when we lived in Colorado and even then I had to been on the look out for them as they seem to hide in quite areas. What I love most are the slight highlights on the pod. I do get what you mean about the shadows, but, at least for me, the pod is what gets my attention.

Thanks @linda_mellor - yeah, it might take some doing to find this again. But in all my time in this preserve I’ve never noticed one so it might be worth the effort and the bug spray! Glad this odd little shot works for you, too.

1 Like