Scotland Loch

My family and I went to visit my sister who lives in London last summer and while we were there we traveled into Scotland and particularly the Isle of Skye. We stayed on the shore of a loch just west of Glencoe on our way to Skye and after going to dinner I went out on the front porch and shot the view in front of me. It was perhaps 10:30 or so in the evening, the sun had already set and it was still in the blue hour. I love the simplicity of this scene. Hope you do too. I always appreciate and benefit from your comments and suggestions. Thanks for taking a look.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any Please

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any Please

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon Z7, 24-70 z lens, ISO 31, 42mm, 1 sec @f/5.6

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single shot

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hello David actually I like it as well, simple and quite beguiling. I am not usually a fan of 50:50 splits in landscapes unless the chosen proportions serve a very obvious reason and here I am not convinced they do there is acres of quite featureless grey above the white cloud bank you could probably lose 2/3 of that grey sky. The water on the other hand has texture in the rippled surface and a pleasing soft reflection I did wonder if you could apply a gentle grad to the new top of the picture to balance the water sky horizon tones a little better and then just lift the brightness of the whole image back to how it currently stands in the sky tones thereby lifting the sea tone a stop. Otherwise very nice and very soothing.

Very peaceful and serene. Very much personal preference, but I would inclined to back off the blue/cyan in the sky and have it contrast the water just a bit. Otherwise, looks really good.

David,
This is a wonderfully moody image that has just the basic elements that you need to tell the story. The ripples add some nice textures to the water and I love the atmospherics with the fog along the far shore and BG mountains. Looks like a great way to end the day. For me a little crop from the top and bottom tightens up the image leaving just the good stuff. Here is a repost with what I was thinking.

I think the comments by @Ian_Cameron do a good job summing up my thoughts on this image as well. I’d crop away about half of the grey sky, and play with the tonality to put more emphasis on the ripples in the water. I just think the 50/50 horizon is too static looking, given how minimalist the image is to begin with. I do like the variety of blue and cyan tones you got here, and the luminous look of the reflection of the cloud in the right half of the image.

Thanks to @Harley_Goldman, @Ian_Cameron, @Ed_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk for your thoughts on this image. I think all of your suggestions are pretty spot on. I knew this image needed something but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I like the pano that Ed came up with. Looks like I need to rework this image a little bit. Thanks again guys.