Scotland Loch

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Color palette and composition.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great composition of a very beautiful scene. Well done. If it were my photo, I would darken the highlights in the sky a bit because they pull the eye above the lovely foreground. I might also try to very subtly lighten the center of the photo (not in the sky) to pull the eye there.

Beautiful composition and sky. It certainly makes me want to take a trip to Scotland :slight_smile:

If it were me, I might try pull just a bit more detail out of the mountains in the distance and try to slightly pulling down the yellows in the foreground…I don’t know if that would help, but if I were playing around with this image, I’d give it a shot.

Technically, to my untrained eye, it looks quite good.

Joel,

Welcome to NPN! The colors and processing look good overall; the greens are natural and so glad you didn’t go overboard with color/saturation. I like the lines and angles in the lower half of the scene which are helping make for a good composition.

I’m torn with the 50/50 nature of things with the sky/clouds dominating; not only with the half the space in the scene, but also that the clouds are almost pure black and white - at least monochrome dominating over the pleasant greens of the Scottish landscape. So, a 50/50 comp where I bounce between the two main elements.

Wasn’t sure what to suggest until I thought of taking this all the way to b&w. I think that eliminates the color/tone 50/50 issue. And with b&w processing your options are endless in terms of contrast and approach. The clouds are dramatic enough that converting everything to b&w with some added contrast and drama could work. Then again, your experience and goal could be more calm and pastoral, so hard to know if that would work for you. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing and welcome!

Lon

@Tony_Siciliano @Timothy_Burns @Lon_Overacker Thanks for the feedback! I think after taking your suggestions into account I got a more balanced image. Right now I’m trying to preserve the memories of the trip so I’m editing as close to as it was in person as possible, but I’ll definitely be attempting a black and white edit in the future.