Shadow Play Slioch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Loch Maree, Torridon, Scotland

Snow dusted Slioch Lords it over Loch Maree as a winter squall drags angry clouds across the sky dappling the flanks of the mountain with sunlight and shadows.

Technical Details

Fuji GFX 50S, Fuji GF 45-100 zoom, 6 stop filter to smooth out the water texture and pick up light reflections from the moutain, f/16 at 4 seconds, ISO 250.

A wonderfully majestic image, Ian!! It makes me want to stand there myself to enjoy this scenery and the play of light and shadow.

Though I share the feeling of angry clouds you describe, I do think that the clouds could be darkened just a bit to strengthen this mood. But that’s just a matter of taste: stick to how it was or processing to increase the mood.

Technically and compositionally, there is little to comment on. The only (minor) thing is that my eye keeps being drawn to that little speck of blue on the waterline just above that boulder on the shore (BL corner). This would probably have bothered me less had the small ‘peninsula’ not been cut off midway. This can be easily resolved by cropping a bit tighter, or alternatively, less tight, so that the ‘peninsula’ is not cut off.

All in all, a great image that I really enjoy!

My thoughts too Ian. What a great use of layering and lines. The three different tones of the sections of land are special. The sparse trees really add a lot for me too.

My only wish is that the water wasn’t cut off in the lrc. A slightly lower camera angle, with a bit more water and a little less sky (so they “sandwiched” the majesty between) would be interesting to compare.

Lovely image. Scotland is on my bucket list. I also think cutting off the water mak

es a different, not better, image as well.

2 Likes

Another wonderful image, Ian. While I prefer your posted image to that posted by @Michael_Lowe (his effort looks great but removes evidence of Loch Maree), I understand @gerard’s suggestion re: slightly darker sky.

Ian, I have been to Scotland but have not had the pleasure of visiting this beautiful place. I agree with @gerard and @John_Williams about the cropping. I would like to know what the end of the peninsula is like, and I would love to see more water. However, that does not diminish the layering and change of values from the foreground to the mountains. The play of light is wonderful. Thanks for treating us to the beautiful scene.

I love the dark relief of the slope against the mountain. I also like the subdued (by todays standards) colors in this image. I like @Michael_Lowe’s crop suggestion.