Scurry in the flurry

While out hiking while it was snowing, I played around a little with trail shots. This time sinking down and just about sitting. I wanted to get the line of my tracks leading up and away over that little rise. I also liked those two crossed trees to the side and thought they framed it nicely. Because it was snowing, the far end of the trail is a bit lighter in contrast. Had to work sort of quickly so as not to get snow on the front element. Wide angle lens hoods only provide so much protection.

Specific Feedback Requested

So, about that leaf? Stay for verisimilitude or go for distracting?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
handheld in lovely soft fresh snow

Lightroom for b&w conversion and a white balance change. Lowered highlights & blacks, boosted exposure & shadows. Added contrast & texture. A bit of lens correction, but the built-in works pretty well. Photoshop to remove lens spots (guess I wasn’t fast enough!) and a few things poking through the snow.

@the.wire.smith

Vote for go, it’s too close to the frame edge. Kris I’m consistent, if nothing else :grin:

I like how the footprints play such a large role here, it’s different than in your prior post, (where I thought the trees played a larger role) but emphasizing the trail here works well too. The large amount of negative space works well for me here.

In addition to being obsessed with frame edges, I also like to play with horizontal flips. As presented, I get a strong sense that the trail is flowing downhill towards the viewer ( a good thing). When I tried this flipped, I got a sense that the trail flowed uphill away from the viewer. I prefer the original “downhill” flow (sort of like how I prefer streams and rivers to flow towards the viewer). But it’s fascinating to me how much our left to right bias influences the way we perceive the look of images.