Sea Cave Cove Bay

Cove Bay, Moray, Scotland

The sandstone caves of Cove Bay on the Moray coast are a phenomenal colour and the pattination on the cave walls even more colourful despite the lack of light to show it off. Despite the high contrast the Fuji with some judicious pulling and pushing at the pixels from a very accurate exposure managed to just about handle the dynamic range on offer and I was able to capture the light playing over the underside of the roof of the sandstone cavern with just a hint of detail in the sky beyond.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55 zoom, 0.45ND Reverse Grad, f14 at 1/8 second, ISO 200.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What a great, lovely photo! It is a fabulous composition. My only nit, in the personal preference category, is that I would be interested in seeing it with the sky a tiny bit darker, still lighter than the water.

A very engaging scene. The composition is well done and rather clever in my opinion. I am also drawn to the wide range of tones that you have presented here.

Good to see your work here Ian.

Beautiful image. It’s a very nice scene and interesting comp. I really have no nits. Other than to say I agree with Tony about darkening the sky a little.

A fine image. I tend to like the sky as it is because it looks natural. There something I find confusing. There’s a dark horizontal line in the smaller “window” on the right. It’s too dark to be a cloud or the horizon. Just figured it out. It’s likely an island. I still might pale it out.The colors are nicely understated.

Great image and I love the composition. I’m with Tony. I think the sky needs to be a tad darker but nothing more. Beautiful work.

Noel

I love the silvery highlights on the pebbles Ian. I like how you balanced the light throughout the scene.