Seacaves & working with warmth in dark

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Hey! I just wanted some feedback on this image, I think it’s good I’m just wondering if there’s anything colourwise people could suggest would help the image. I think specifically I’m wondering about the use of warm colour and if I should go more saturated :slight_smile:

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any! go for it

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

4 bracketed images, masked together manually with the help of tk actions, dodge/burning, camera raw & filters to add cool colours into the shadows/water

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it

1 Like

This is great, Dale! I think it works beautifully as presented. Lots of mood and symbolism in this image. I find the blown highlights are extremely effective and look great here. I really like this one.

1 Like

Hi @dalegphoto, light and composition are superb in my opinion. I like how the lines of the foreground and cave work with the subject. The glow on the hole is fantastic. Did you try to enhance the light on the waves? I don’t know if it could be better or not but I would try. Thank you for sharing your image.

1 Like

I like this a lot Dale. I think it gives a real sense of place. The in rushing water makes me fell uneasy (in a good way) making me think I need to get out of there quickly. I think the color works as is.

1 Like

Dale, this is great as presented! I think think the colors and shadows are spot on. I agree with @Eva_McDermott that this will create a strong sense of urgency from the viewer. Claustrophobic folks may be challenged as well.
Wonderful work!

1 Like

This is flat out gorgeous, Dale. Everything looks spot on to me regarding the saturation and color. I am enjoying the highlights in the rushing water and there is just the right amount of detail in the shadow areas, just as I would expect it to be. I also like the bright area of light as it beckons the viewer. Great work.

1 Like

This is pretty nice as presented here Dale. I would not increase saturation any further for more impact. One of the most valuable lessons that I have learned from participating in the landscape critique forum at NPN, is that is often easy to overdo it when cranking saturation and/or contrast primarily to create impact, and that “less is more”, ie subtle, understated saturation and colors can sometimes have more impact. I think the saturation and color here is pretty tasteful, and to take it much further could risk overdoing it. Some subtle dodging of highlights and lighter tones in the shadows however could produce some pleasing results, and accentuate the light that is already present in the scene.

1 Like

Exceptional Dale. I love the effect, all the little details in the shadows, and the timing of the wave action. I do like a tad more saturation, especially in that green-yellow algae, and the water action slightly brighter.

1 Like