Seeping Greens

Thanks for your comments on my recent Yosemite Trees images. I have more! But will give you a break. This one is near polar opposite, yet captured less than 15 miles from where the snowy images were captured. The Merced River canyon becomes inflamed with yellow/green mosses and vegetation. As snow continues to dump in the Valley (even right now) and rain continues to pour in California, water is seeping out everywhere! The canyon walls are littered with temporary water falls and the dangers of rock slides are very real.

As always all comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing. I think rendering the yellow/greens of vibrant moss is one of the most difficult processing challenges. What do you think of the color, sat, hue and general processing?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E, Tamron 70-200/f2.8 @100mm f/16 1.3s 2-image focus stack

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice image, Lon. I prefer it with maybe 10% cropped off the top. The heart of the image is the water and green/rock combo and I find the top pulls me out of there just a bit. Processing looks good to my eye.

Lon, the scale here is well disguised, until I saw the “small scene” tag, I was thinking many 10s of feet tall, shot from a long distance. The lush greens and that fine waterfall look great.

If you had said “Hawaii,” I wouldn’t have batted an eye. This is so unique for that area, I think you have a standout on your hands. It will always have a special place in any photo array from Yosemite and environs.

The yellow-greens look pretty good. Maybe a bit yellow, but definitely believable. The composition has a surprising amount of variation for a small scene and is interesting enough to make me want to click on the thumb for a closer look, which is about all we can hope for, I suppose.