Semi-Grotto

We came across this narrow leaf yucca framed by the richly colored lichens as we were walking from a sunset shoot, and I halted us to take a shot at capturing the scene. I was struck by the colors and by the structures of the scene. It felt like seeing a grotto.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing suggestions very welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does it come across as a place you would stop for? Too dark?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1.3 sec 58mm f4

This is a very complex image and I think it’s easily looked over, Dick. I get the concept of framing that yucca. It also stands out for me. I am debating about a few things in the frame:

1. The rocks are brighter in the lower-left corner area. I think they take away from the yucca and I will consider burning them down considerably. After that, it might be useful to lift up the brightness on the yucca just ever so slightly.

2. I am not sure what to do with it but I am of two minds about the branch coming from the top of the frame just in front of the rock. I don’t think it is too distracting but I am still bothered by it.

Good seeing on your part to create this image, Dick, and I think it’s worth a second look.

This has beautiful, rich colors and textures, and the feeling of dusk comes through. I love this time of day, and this really conveys the mood of dusk for me.

If your intent is to have the yucca as a focal point, it needs to be brighter I think. As Adhika said, the lighter rocks, with the contrasting red/greens have the most contrast in the scene and that is where my eye wants to stay. Just darkening the brightest parts of the rocks (but not too much) and lightening the area of the yucca would change do the trick. I had a go at it - lowered the lights in the rocks and increased them only on the yucca.

To me, the rocks look like a whale about to swallow the yucca!

Bonnie’s repost really works for me. The yucca needed more attention drawn to it and the image now balances out quite well. Very nicely seen and captured.

@Harley_Goldman @Bonnie_Lampley @Adhika_Lie
Thank you. Totally agree with the brightening. When I looked at this on my phone on NPN this morning, the first thing I did was to open Snapseed and brighten the yucca, and then brightened the center with one shot of a soft brush.
I also have mixed feelings about the top branch. Will play with it.
Also I saw the whale , . Or a big fat trout taking a fuzzy fly.

I like what @Bonnie_Lampley has done with her rework. The lichen on the rocks is nice, but if the yucca is intended to be the most important element, it needed to be brighter. Here’s another vote to lose the top branch. I did not see the whale until I read Bonnie’s comment, but now I can’t stop seeing it. The trout/fly thing works for me too.