Sentinels (edit)

What a strange fall it has been in Colorado. It was way behind the normal schedule, dry as a bone, and hardy a cloud in the sky. Fortunately, I was interested in capturing “micro” landscapes. For this image, I used a telephoto to zoom into a brilliant glowing hillside to capture blue spruces intermixed with aspens. I always have appreciated this kind of scene as it depicts a classic Colorado fall.
I normally don’t take that many images in the middle of the day, but this kind of glow is irresistible. It definitely makes processing a bit harder to tame down the highlights.
Any suggestions for improvement welcome.
Cheers,
Ken

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I was just out in Ouray at the end of September. I got lucky with a few clouds which I will post in the near future, but I also had mostly blue skies. Fortunately the color started to take off near the end of my trip and I was able to get some nice telephoto landscapes as well.

I like the contrast between the pine trees and the aspen. Perhaps a bit more breathing room would be nice at the top of the image to avoid cutting off the tops of the pine trees, but maybe you were trying to avoid some distracting elements out of the frame. Overall this is nicely done and you handled the mid-day light well.

1 Like

Fabulous color and texture here. the smaller fir trees along the top distract me a little, but if they had more head room they could really set off the larger ones below. Just to play a little, I thought about how to compose without those trees, and these are the two I came up with. I still think your original idea (but with a tish of head room) is the best composition.

Thanks Marylynne and Brian for your comments. Yea, I realize the one tree in the upper center was on the edge, but that is just how the image was best captured without additional distractions. No doubt I can clone it out, but was curious if it was worth it based on folks’ review.
Cheers

Here is an edited version with some cloning to separate the upper trees from top edge.

1 Like

Very cool shot Ken. Love the colors. I do agree with Marylynne on those two trees at the the top. I really like her second crop. In your edit, giving room does help, but I still find my eye being drawn upward away from the great colorful contrast in the middle.

1 Like