Settling Territory

A pair of Harris’ hawks trying to settle territory

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything actually, keeping in mind the rules of nature

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/2500 sec at ISO 3600 wide open f 5.6 using my 180 - 400 mm

2 Likes

You caught great behavior with wonderful poses, with the two almost symmetrical and the gorgeous tails featured so well. The BG is interesting and natural-looking but nicely subdued. My only suggestion might be to try a very subtler darker vignette and lighter in the center, as in Nik Color Efex Darken/Lighten Center. This can often give some dimensionality and that would work well with this gorgeous action shot.

They’re really sparring - I love how the talons are intertwined and they’re giving each other the stare. A vignette might indeed improve it, or even darken all the BG a bit. But it doesn’t really need improvement. I hope I’ve kept within the rules of (good) nature!

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me @Diane_Miller - Nik’s Darken-Lighten center can be a nice way to vignetter- just that I can’t use that if following PSA nature “rules”

Very well composed, Karl, with excellent contrast between the subjects and the background. I love the action. No nits from here.

1 Like

Hi Karl
Action like this, is what a photographer hopes for every day he or she goes out the door. Very kool.
Peter

1 Like

Terrific action shot - great to see the eye of both birds. Well done.

1 Like