Shallow Roots

Harley: I opened this just to view the image and then got caught up in the discussion. My initial impression of the comp was that it would be nice if the tree was placed against the smooth wall but since that was apparently physically impossible one must do what is possible. This is a terrific scene and the larger the image the easier it is to separate the tree from the BG. I do like Bonnie’s tweak. Wonderful find and a fine capture and presentation. >=))>

Hi Harley! I’ve looked at this image ever since you posted it and just now thought I should say how much I like it! What I want to know is how big is the tree?! I just keep trying to figure out the perspective of this whole scene! Which I think is what makes it so interesting and really draws the viewer, at least this viewer, in! I love it the way it is and even though I might be an amateur I really don’t understand or agree so much with everyone’s obsessions about backgrounds, skies, etc. I know those things matter, but if every single photo has a smooth one color background or 100 clouds in the sky or no sky how interesting would that be? And is that really the natural world? Anyway, I just want you to know that I like and appreciate your vision.

1 Like

Thanks @Bill_Fach and @Vanessa_Hill . Your comments are much appreciated. Vanessa, the tree is about 10 or 12 feet tall. It is 30 yards or so in front of the wall.

1 Like

Harley, I’m thoroughly enjoying the mix of textured and untextured redish wall, tree and highly structured rocks that the tree is using for it’s toehold… Yes, the tree blends in with the textured wall behind it so letting it stand out a bit more is good, but having the viewing be challenging means that a viewer will look at the image again and again or for a longer time. That’s my definition of an interesting picture.

1 Like

Really like this photo Harley! The color tones, composition and textures are really nice. Thanks for sharing it. At first the tree blending in bothered me but seeing it again I like the original photo as you posted it. It is a beautiful scene that would look very nice printed in a large format.
Many times natural scenes are naturally blended and still very aesthetic and pleasing in their simplicity.

Wow! That’s pretty big! A grand scene! That would be fun to hike around!